How should I prepare for my spray tan?
You should exfoliate well the day before your tan in order to remove any dead skin cells (this will help prolong your tan). If you shave or wax, this should also be done before the day of your tan. Do not wear deodorants, lotions or make up on your skin on Spray tanning day as these can act as a barrier to the tanning solution. Do NOT bathe or shower within 3 hours of your tan or your results could likely be compromised.
How does spray tanning work?
Your body is sprayed with a solution that contains a certain percentage of Organic DHA (DiHydroxyAcetone), a colorless sugar which reacts with the Amino acids in the dead layers of your skin and over a period of a few hours turns brown – just the same as an apple does when you have bitten it!
Is spray tanning safe?
Yes! DHA has been approved for cosmetic use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Canadian Health Ministry and most of the EU member nations. It is considered nontoxic and non-carcinogenic. DHA based Sunless tanning has been recommended by the Skin Cancer Organization, American Academy of Dermatology, Canadian Dermatology Association, The American Cancer Society and the American Medical Association.
How long does a spray tan last?
Your body constantly ‘sloughs off’ dead skin cells. This is why natural sun tans fade over a few days. Spray tanning only affects the outer skin layer, so again, as your skin cells are naturally shed, the spray tan will fade. Your tan should last 5-10 days, typically 7 days, but longer if you look after your skin by moisturising every day. However, we cannot offer a guarantee as everyone is different.
Can anyone have a spray tan?
Most people are suitable to have a spray tan. We suggest that pregnant women in the first trimester refrain from spray tanning as there is not any data available involving spray tanning during pregnancy. However, if you are unsure, please contact us and as always, consult with your healthcare practitioner/doctor/midwife.
Is it OK for people of any age to spray tan?
Yes it is. However, we require the signature and presence of the parent or guardian for those under 18.
Is spray tanning messy or smelly?
No. The specialist will set up a spray tan booth in your home for mobile appointments. The HVLP sprayer produces a very precise spray and any overspray is caught in the booth. The formulas that we have chosen do not have that dreaded “fake-bake” scent!
What should I wear for my spray tan?
Women can wear as much or as little as you like. Tanning bare will prevent tan lines, which most women prefer to avoid. A dark bikini or dark bra and panties/thong is appropriate. Most women choose to tan topless or nude. For men, we suggest dark swim trunks, boxers or boxer briefs–we will not spray men nude. Male clients will be taken at the sole discretion of the business owner, for the safety and comfort of all parties.
Will I turn orange or streaky with a spray tan?
No, absolutely not with my specially-selected formulas! An Orange hue is a result of sub-par tanning formulas or a formula that is much too dark for one’s skin tone and you have probably seen the unsuspecting victims of such unfortunate circumstances (has anyone seen a political debate or red carpet lately?) As an esthetician, it is of utmost importance to me that my formula produces a gorgeous and natural tan tone while avoiding ingredients that are harmful to the skin. Streakiness is caused by improper application of home tanning creams and sprays or often those popular tanning booths/machines – which is why you should always let a professional apply your tan.
What do I do AFTER my spray tan?
Simply wear loose dark clothing and do not shower for at least 8 hours as this is the ideal time to allow your tan to fully develop–(FOR MY EXPRESS FORMULA, REMEMBER THIS IS 90 MINUTES and the TAN WILL CONTINUE TO DEVELOP THROUGHOUT THE DAY EVEN AFTER YOUR SHOWER!). Follow these simple rules…
· The first night, if you have not yet showered, it is best to wear pajamas or baggy loose clothing in order to prevent disturbing your developing tan and to protect your sheets. We have found that the tanning solution may appear on lighter colored sheets or clothing but it typically does wash off after a machine washing. *Do not sleep in silk/satin sheets or pajamas as these COULD likely stain.
· When you do first shower, you may notice some brown liquid washing down the drain. Do not panic! This is just the surface application washing off, revealing your tanned skin underneath.
· Avoid soaking in the bath as this encourages the sloughing of dead skin cells and will hasten the fading of your tan.
· Avoid swimming pools as chlorine will quicken the natural fading process.
· Moisturize every day (preferably twice) in order to keep your skin and tan in tip top condition! I suggest Body Butter or Hydrate Body Lotion without petroleum or mineral oil.
· Shaving or exfoliation will certainly fade your tan so avoid these things or use sparingly until your spray tan fades! Remember, the tan will shed along with the dead surface skin cells!